Thread: Balinese Wedung
View Single Post
Old 29th September 2005, 10:46 PM   #21
marto suwignyo

As I remarked in my initial post to this thread:-

"A number of differently shaped knives are used for the same and similar purposes, and I have not been able to get anybody to differentiate in the name used for any of them. Some people will use pengentas, others blakas pengentas, others blakas,others madik, others caluk, all for the same knife, and for different knives. "

The cutting implements that you describe , Montino, are amongst these other, differently shaped knives, along with a number of other cutting implements, some would be described as knives, some as hand axes, and one item that was given the name of "blakas pengentas suda mala" was a waved blade about 500 centi long, incorporating a long handle, and making the whole thing about 1000 centi long.A small, almost square hand axe was given the name "blakas pengentas" by a different person. The person who had the first thing I have just described gave the name of "pengentas" to a knife similar to the one under discussion. Another person gave the name "blakas pengentas" to a knife like a small wood carving knife, the type of thing that the books describe as "boyo knife", then 12 months later this person called the same knife a "pemukis".

Quite frankly, I find the whole thing too difficult.I do believe that the name used is situational, and that only a Balinese person who was thoroughly versed in both ritual and language could provide understandable explanations.

However, I do not believe we are talking weaponry here, nor do I believe we are talking farm tools. The conversations I have had with my informants on names indicates some sort of ritual use for all these implements.

Henk, I do not live in Bali. I do understand something of keris culture and weaponry as these things are understood in Solo, Central Jawa, but that is not Bali, and apart from my ability to speak with Balinese people in Indonesian, and the fact that I have visited Bali more times than I can count, over many years, I probably understand Balinese culture no better than you do.To get really accurate answers on these matters you need the input of a scholar who has studied in this field, or a very knowledgeable Balinese person.
marto suwignyo is offline   Reply With Quote