Thread: Filipino Knife
View Single Post
Old 4th April 2011, 03:23 AM   #4
John G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonoy Tan
The marks on the blade are probably the mark of the bladesmith, sort of like a trademark. This is a common practice of modern knife makers in the Philippines. I hope this helps.

thanks again Nonoy, it helps me a little bit. its actually a practice that blade/knife makers practice do worldwide. Kind of like the Japanese did to their samurai blades. When American soldiers brought them back from world war 2, many blades were found to be cut shorter. This was done so that the new soldier could meet their military standards with their families passed down samurai sword. and thus cutting off part of the blade makers trademark.

When you say modern.....from what time are you speaking of, from the 30's? 60's? 10's? When did Filipinos start trademarking/signing approximately?

And if its a common practice, does ANYBODY know if there is a database of some sort that catalogs these markings? ? ? ? ? ?
AND if not...... I will be happy to start one in hopes of helping others identify their blade makers knife, as well as mine.

Maybe we can rename this thread and do it here, of course I am open to suggestions.
John G is offline   Reply With Quote