View Single Post
Old 27th February 2017, 05:51 PM   #33
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I would very much like to thank Jean Luc for his forbearance in this continued digression in his thread, as well Fernando for his patience in responding to my inquisitiveness concerning the 'Espadero del Rey' dilemma. While it indeed is a digression topically, this matter on these swordsmiths is indirectly pertinent as related to my suggestion that the nearly indistinguishable mark at the forte on his example might be a degraded 'half moon' which may have been placed along with the rather rugged inscription in the blade.

Fernando, the entry you have placed here is exactly the kind of material I as hoping for, especially as this account was contemporary to the working times of the old swordsmiths. As noted, the problems with Palomares accounts are inherently a result of his having documented most of his material during a time (1772) when nearly all of these makers had long been gone and Toledo's sword making industry had long been in ruin.

This resource is most valuable, and I very much appreciate the time and effort you spent in providing it here, so I thank you sincerely. Even in Spanish, the clearly illustrated marks and accompanying text should be manageable in examining this very important data, which, like all of your entries, are never, ever boring!

Thank you again!

Best regards
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote