View Single Post
Old 27th February 2017, 02:52 PM   #32
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Well Jim, considering this wasn't yet the chekmate on this issue, and asking Jean-Luc for tolerance over hijacking his thread, i would like to introduce the earliest author known to have registered Spanish silver smiths, mostly those working in Toledo, with the great difference that this one was contemporary to the old Masters, as he resourced around the 1600's. Jehan Lhermite was a Flemish Gentilhomme who served Spanish Kings Filipe II and III, having been assigned to their chambers. In his written work called "Le Passetemps", he gives account of places and events he has been through when traveling with the Royalty, and includes a report on sword smiths registered in Toledo (and not only) with a comprehensive description on how they used to shape their blades, like ricasso profile and their average length, something Palomares didn't cover, as well as the marks they used, these maybe not exempted from one or two eventual flaws, even considering he registered them in the period. Interesting to check that he registered (only) one Master who used the Espadero del Rey signature (Sebastian Hernandez), and makes only one mention to the half moon symbol, "forming a rostrillo inside it", as once adopted by (guess who) Juan Martinez.
It took me a couple hours to format this chart in order to make it "uploadable". I hope it is worth ... and not boring.

Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 1st March 2017 at 11:41 AM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote