View Single Post
Old 19th September 2005, 03:44 PM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I agree with much of what the guys are saying, simply because these pieces are not truly antique, they seem high quality representations of swords that carry long histories from Islamic regions. You should definitely keep them as mementos of your service there, and in time they will have histories of thier own.In my opinion, aesthetically these are all very attractive pieces.
Over many years of collecting I have pieces that, while not of stellar value to other collectors, have become personal favorites because they have become lifetime mementos. The prices you paid do not seem out of line for these representations which appear reasonably well made.

I'm glad you are with us here on the forum, and hope you keep in touch with us here and join our discussions of so many fascinating edged weapons. Every day is a learning experience for all of us here as we share newly discovered weapons and information and discuss all!

In noting your being there in Iraq, I just would like to tell you how proud we are of you guys, and the incredibly magnificent job you are doing over there.I work here in an international airport and I can tell you firsthand of how true that is because I see so many of you every day, and I cannot begin to tell you the many moving moments I see and experience. I have a son and a son in law both in the Army, one will deploy in weeks with 82nd Airborne, the other with disposition pending. Our prayers are with them, and all of you, as you are all sons and daughters of all of us, be safe and God be with you.

With respect and gratitude,
Jim