View Single Post
Old 18th September 2005, 09:17 PM   #4
CPT Kight

Quote:
Originally Posted by erlikhan
I am afraid they dont look antique but quite newly made Indian or Pakistani stuff (top quality samples of them) but I can be wrong. Are the blade edges sharp?
regards
No, the edges appear to have been dulled down.
I should mention that the Damascus used in the blades is true Damascus. On the knife with the handle that matches the sword some rust has begun to work at the back of the blade and the rust appears to be between some of the layers of the Damascus. I have checked with several of the local interpreters that we use here and they feel that the knifes and sword are in fact the real thing. They have nothing to gain or lose in stating their assessment. (I have not, nor will I be purchasing from them.) Also I have spent the last 11 months looking at various broken down, imitation, and replicated, knifes from all over, some very cheep some very nice imitations. I do not believe this to be one of them. I have been around knifes, knife making, smithing, and foundry work sense I was a child. I have yet to see someone actually go through the work required to build the Damascus blades in an effort to build an imitation. There are ways to fake Damascus but these blades show the fine lines between the layers even on the edge. with a thumb nail you can even feel the micro serrations along the cutting edge of the blades. I know they look new. Good for me they have been well preserved. I spent a great deal of time with mild hand soap and a buffing cloth to clean them up. I sprayed them down with WD-40 and took the pictures before I wiped off the excess WD-40. They appear shiny for that reason.

I am interested in the design, and where they may have come from in this region. I am not concerned about their authenticity.

Thank you for your input I know it is difficult to judge some thing via photo.
CPT Kight

Last edited by CPT Kight; 18th September 2005 at 09:37 PM.