View Single Post
Old 6th August 2017, 09:15 AM   #82
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Wasn't that to prevent your carrier from falling back, so that when you seat it conflicts with your back section ... or your horse croup ?

ah, the X'd strap is the continuation of the broader strap from the forked scabbard bucklings over the shoulder and then thinning down to it's own adjustment buckle and thin strap till it rejoins the buckled area - see the 'french' baldric in the sketch. (i fell into the same trap initially .) the belted versions in the othe three panels of the sketch show the belt with the buckle and two support brasses with loops. the main leather buckled frog bit hooks to the one on your left side, a smaller strap continues from the front of this frog to the hooking place on the right side of the belt buckle - except for the german style one which is on the left. some illustrations to help on the belted ones, museum display and an antique belt, and a portrait with a similar belt. (the white blotch looks like a piece of adhesive tape defacing the painting.)

i suspect that it's to keep the hilt up, as the balance is so close to the front it has a tendency to seesaw down w/o the strap as you move . the german style with it's attachment on the same side of the main buckle as the other makes more sense tho. maybe 'cus i'm germanic myself , it does seem to be more horse friendly (see graf above). you only have one buckle to undo to take off the german one, the others you need to unbuckle and unhook the front strap. german efficiency.

the Tbourida riders as i mentioned above carry their nimchas on a baldric with the hilt down and the pointy end angled UP sticking above their shoulders to suit their way of drawing the sword. different strokes for different folks. with the baldric, dismounted they can adjust that to suit more easily than the european carry methods.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 6th August 2017 at 10:01 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote