Thread: Mystery Dagger
View Single Post
Old 27th September 2010, 06:18 AM   #23
Ron Anderson

Hi Jim

Thanks for your comments here. I was unaware of the evolution of the nimcha.

I do have an appreciation of the dynamics of historic processes. These are interesting, of course.

And yes, I can see the fascination of being able to trace these forces in daggers, knives, swords etc. This is intriguing, even to those of us who don't have all that much experience or knowledge to work with.

Regarding this particular dagger, however, I have my doubts.

If this dagger was created in the late 19th century or later, one has to wonder what the intent of that was.

Was it made for tourists? Even in the 1800s, because of its position at the cross roads of various routes, it seems Morocco was a tourist hub.

I know that the Moroccan jambiya became a popular tourist purchase, even in the 19th century.

If that is the case, in my mind it just makes the dagger less an authentic reflection of a particular time and place. But the blade is very nice. All in all, the dagger presents well. It just no longer seems a cohesive artefact.

I must admit, I do not have a great fondness for North African or Islamic weapons. However, in principal, I have no problem with the fact that different cultures cross-fertilise and that influences in design spread from one place to another.

Up to a point.

I think most people here would not be too taken with a dagger that had a Nazi SS blade cobbled onto a Sykes commando knife hilt, fitting into a scabbard originally made for a Danish naval dirk. Rather than presenting an interesting story, it would just seem like a mismatched hodge podge.
Ron Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote