Thread: Mystery Dagger
View Single Post
Old 26th September 2010, 04:15 PM   #19
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I have been watching this discussion with great interest and must admit that the outstanding observations by all participating truly reflect the fascination in studying these weapons. Even the simplest appearing piece carries certain nuances that test everyones store of knowledge and recognition.
I would note here also that it is virtually impossible for the extremely modest Mr.Maisey to utter anything that could possible be considered less than scholarly observation! ...so the word stupid is not in the realm of anything he says or writes so Alan we will disregard that sentence.

I think what makes ethnographic weapons often such conundrums is the fact that they reflect representations of regional historical tradition as well as the influences of many colonial and trade powers throughout centuries, and thier histories as well. While this weapon seems to reflect strong European style, it is the question whether it is in fact European, and with considerable age, or from colonial or trade regions and carrying those influences.

The grip is of a simple relatively convergent style with a waisted shape that is seen in countless forms on the hilts of edged weapons, and indeed was present on the previously mentioned German SA daggers introduced in 1933.
Much in the same sense, these called atavistically on the traditional 15th-16th century 'Holbein' daggers as the emphasis on early heritage is often used to carry nationalistically charged motivation. It is a powerful device that is reflected in the fashioning of many weapons in more modern times that have classical or historic designs.

The 'crab claw' quillons are indeed descended from European design, in particular many 'left hand' or parrying daggers which often accompanied rapiers in the late 16th-17th century. These scrolled down quillons are in turn derived from earlier Italian and Hispano-Moresque hilts which had become popular in the 15th century, and became essentially considered an Islamic feature from the Sacred Swords in Istanbul which were respectfully remounted when refurbished by the Ottomans.

The presence of the encircled dot is an often appearing symbol which is among the oldest symbols known in temporal motif, being found across parts of Asia, the Indian subcontinent, and is particularly well known in the Balkans and Afghan regions and contiguous regions of Central Asia. It has become extremely prevalent in North Africa, especially from Saharan regions and into Berber regions in the Maghreb, presumably from the same trade contacts which may be the source of many weapon forms. As the simple design is of primarily solar association among other possibilities, it lends well to the key beliefs in folk religions and thought, so is understandable as a pleasantly aesthetic design.

The median ridge, lozenge cross section blade is quite typical of European daggers, structurally well suited for thrusting, and characteristic of many forms used through medieval times on everything from ballocks to basilards.
I believe even the more modern famed Fairburn-Sykes combat knife has a blade of this section. As this particular cross section is not in my thought typical of North African blades, the blade itself may well be European.

Moving to the intriguing gold metal fretwork collar around the blade forte; here is where we really move toward the Maghreb. This type collar or bolster around the based of the hilt/blade root is somewhat characteristic of the well known 'koummya' or Moroccan janbiyya, while the dagger itself seems to be a somewhat smaller version of s'boula, produced in representation of one of the earlier European left hand daggers previously noted.

I think here we see the confluence of European and North African styles, perhaps with this even being a European blade, and refurbished in these regions recalling known classical forms. I would concur with the date assessment of late 19th into early 20th of the assembly, and consider the possibility of the blade earlier European.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote