View Single Post
Old 11th November 2013, 11:31 PM   #7
Edster

Default Spear Photos

Iain,

Great photo documentation of the Baggara spearmen.

Colin,

See attached photos. As I was oiling the blade I made a tactile discovery. As I rubbed my finger from the center ridge toward the edge the surface seemed to have a slight cup to it and raised to the "bevel" edge at the top of the second photo. The lower surface seemed flat, no bevel. When I turned the blade over and did the same finger rub to the other face, the edge that was flat on one side had a cupping and raised edge on the other. Thus, it seemed that they were able to create a raised edge for beveling on each side of the blade, but on opposite faces. Also, the surface looked like some bluing had remained.

The first photo of the edge looks thicker at where the blade meets the haft. Also, the blade surface is very smooth with no hint of a forger' s hammer.

These observations suggest to me that this spear may have been cut and formed by a mechanical die and the haft cold formed to accept the shaft. The Kalifa had armories in Omdurmun. Could it be that they were cranking out spear heads by the hundreds? The Kalifa's house museum displays a wind-up spring powered carriage. Could his forces possessed a greater technological sophistication than previously considered?

Regards,
Ed
Attached Images

Edster is offline   Reply With Quote