View Single Post
Old 12th October 2010, 06:32 PM   #21
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY
Hello Chris, thanks for replying

Yes, such naval references are very hard to come by. For the most part, it has been determined with some authority that Spanish navaja definitely went to sea. Certainly other knives, much like many types of swords, saw sea service, if not with the Spanish navy itself, certainly on many merchantmen of the period. Such knives would have served for defense and utility purposes. It is interesting to note that where other countries were banning large fighting knives for sailors by the mid-19th c (other than tiny-bladed dress dirks or pocket knives), it is well established that the Spanish sailors were still carrying some hefty folding knives/navaja. I see no reason not to believe that the piece being discussed couldn't have seen sea service. Albacete isn't a port city, but not too awefully far from the coast.
P.S. I'll check out that book...
Well, now you mention it, I was watching some movie a while back and a spanish sailor/brigand/pirate had a big single edged knife rather like my one above.
Not that that is exactly 'proof' LOL! But it did get me thinking, and they would have made a good utility/weapon.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote