View Single Post
Old 22nd March 2011, 05:25 PM   #7
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Hi Cap'n Mark,
Thanks for coming aboard ... better late than ever .

I see that the trick to bring you around is coming here to ask people their opinion on narwhale tusks used on Claimore hilts! .

Concerning how i find these pieces ... well, at specialized shops and websites; so they are not cheap at all. Each one of them costs more than a full load of powder kegs .

The grip silver nails; what i find more amazing in them, is that practicaly each one of them has a different shape.
I am thinking of asking my jewelry shop owner friend to have his smith to replicate (at least some of) the missing units.

Now Jim, are these pictures good enough to figure out what the grip cover material is? I confess i am amazed at the 'asterisk' shape of the worn 'bulbs'; would this be normal in ray skin ?

I wonder, as i find it admitable, that this hilt attitude was a later embelishment to this sword but, full of silver details as it is, it certainly belonged to an owner with a position higher that the common rank and file ... don't you guys agree?

Concerning this sword's age, can't you 'make it' a bit earlier ... to come close to seller's assumption: circa 1700?

Ah, something i almost forgot to mention; atypically, the inscription on the blade, instead of having engraved half of the sentence in each face, has the full phrase in both sides, in a double row manner.

Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 22nd March 2011 at 05:40 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote