View Single Post
Old 9th July 2018, 04:30 PM   #11
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Yes, the blade is current era, nice quality, and would be totally acceptable as the blade used in a Javanese dress keris used by a person who was not involved in kraton or elite level society activities.

Yes, recognised dhapurs and relevant iconography can have a part in places where these things are understood, but Central Javanese dress is almost a national standard now in Indonesia, so you will find people in Jakarta and Surabaya, and even Bali,wearing a keris as a part of formal dress that does not really relate to Central Javanese kraton standards.
Perhaps you can clarify a few things for me Alan and take this into a area i don't believe we have had much discussion about. Yes, i was being a bit of a sticker for tradition in my comments. I do take you word that this keris, if dressed differently, would be acceptable as a Javanese dress keris for those in common society. Anyway, as a dress keris one would not be all that likely to be showing off the details of the blade in public anyway. But i would like to further address this mixing of iconography. We have certainly moved into an era in modern keris making were anything goes when it comes to keris design. Many of these more fanciful new creations can get a bit over the top and it is difficult to see them as anything other than artist interpretations of keris rather than keris themselves. An edit does seem that many of these new keris makers take the position that more is better. More features, more elements, no matter where they might be drawn from. This one is a bit more subdued however and done rather tastefully IMO. But i find myself questioning this mixing of naga and singo on the same blade. We have never really fully discussed (as far as i can recall) the cultural significance of these two symbolic creatures when applied to to keris. Well, i guess that's not completely true, as there has been much discussion of the naga for sure, but not so much the singo as it relates to placement on the keris. But what hasn't really been talked about much though is who such keris (naga or singo) would be particularly suited for. Yes, we live in an era where anyone with the money can own anything they please, but what was the original intention here. Who in proper keris society would a naga keris be best suited for and who in that society would a singo keris be suited for. I don't imagine it would be just anybody and i'm not sure that both would be suited for the same person. So i am curious about your take on the purpose of both these iconic creatures when placed upon a keris blade, what meaning and purpose they were meant to serve and whether one can make any sense and purpose out of having both on a blade at the same time regardless of whether or not there is any pakem to back up such a choice.
David is offline   Reply With Quote