View Single Post
Old 7th May 2006, 05:44 AM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

It seems that other than the article by Dr. Lloyd Cabot-Briggs, little has focused specifically as far as typology or identification of Tuareg edged weapons, other than the article written on this site by Dr.Lee Jones.
By the very nomadic nature of the Tuareg tribes themselves, it seems extremely difficult to geographically classify the variations of takouba and especially of the arm daggers (telek).
The Tuareg, as virtually all tribal groups of Saharan regions, are keenly sensitive to symbolism and superstitions of thier folk religious beliefs. The use of either leather, or brass/copper in covering the hilts of thier swords has to do with the concept that the Tuareg must avoid touching iron or white metal which has negative and deadly properties.Presumably the sheath coverings further carry this function, along with decorative motif that is intended to protect the owner from the evil eye.

The circular motif on Manolo's example is extremely interesting and while I have not specifically seen such motif on takoubas, it seems to reflect possibly influence from the east, resembling similar geometric motif designs that appear on weapons that may be Sudanic.

The very nice arm dagger that Tim has carries the geometric design often used in Tuareg material culture known as the Agadez cross and is typically associated with this region of Niger and according to Angela Fisher ("Africa Adorned", N.Y.1984, p.194) by nomads to the west far into Mali.

One of the most interesting features that seem consistant on the takoubas' blades is the rounded tip, which interestingly is much the same as the 'kattara' from Oman. I have often wondered if this type point reflected possibly a preference for slashing in combat rather than thrusting.
While the takouba is still worn today as an element of traditional costume, I think that the AK-47 is pretty much the weapon of choice (as Lee Jones can well attest!).

Best regards,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 7th May 2006 at 07:22 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote