Thread: Kaskara
View Single Post
Old 14th April 2019, 02:03 PM   #17
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

It is always interesting to see discussions on kaskara, especially when these aspects of more modern examples are observed. I very much agree with the date consensus on this one, and as noted, these were not necessarily made 'just' for tourists. While many traditional ethnographic weapons do end up in souks and sale venues, they are likely most honestly intended for traditional uses, with weddings of course as well as other celebratory events.

I also agree that the shorter examples are intended for the wear over the shoulder, which is often seen in period photographs. It seems I recall one of Zubier Pasha, a notorious slaver, mounted wearing one in this manner, while a longer (full size) one was attached to the saddle under his leg. This was very much in the European manner of a 'tuck' (large straight sword) under the riders leg while he wears a sabre.

The steel used in this blade was probably in the same manner as the old lorry springs used in the early days of British occupation in Sudan and it would seem that the very process of grinding the blade down would render a reasonably sharp edge. These methods of kaskara production have been handed down for generations, which is why I have always considered even newer examples like this very much good 'ethnographic examples'.

Selohr, its a nice thing that your son has expressed interest in this kaskara, and it is almost in keeping with the true character of owning such a sword in the Sudan. …..passed from father to son.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote