View Single Post
Old 26th April 2012, 03:09 PM   #6
Spunjer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePepperSkull
Beautiful Kris! Did you purchase this one?

I hope to learn more about the markings as well. Very interesting
yep. i just haven't got the time to take my own pics so i just posted the original pictures..

rick, the Maranao country was the most topographically isolated area (surrounded by high plateau which in turn is surrounded by rugged mountain ranges) of the three main Moro country, therefore they were the last to be converted to Islam, and the least subjected to external influences. The spanish had explored the lake country as far back as the early part of 1600's, but had found the terrain and the Maranaos too intimidating to attempt a conquest. it wasn't until 1890 when a determined attempt was made to reach lake lanao, and it would take another year for the spaniards to advance to the shores of lake lanao, heartland of maranao country, in the expense of intense fighting and heavy spanish losses (ironically, the spanish foot soldiers were almost all filipinos, 8,000 strong ). although the spaniards established a few garrisons, it wasn't your typical "it's my weekend off and it's a beautiful day, so i'm going to the marketplace to buy a souvenir for my lovely Maria" kinda place. as a matter of fact, the only wagon road leading to Marawi (the principal town) had to have the trees and foliage cleared 100 feet on both sides to prevent ambushes.

sorry, i'm getting off track and this thread is turning out to be an ethnographic topic, lol. as far as the blade, i still think it was originally european in origin, as a matter of fact, this blade overall profile is somewhat reminiscent of another Maranao kris i have, http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...=silver+surfer. i'm hoping the european blade experts can help me with the icons on the blade. does it look like any of the maker's marks found on european swords? i'm with you rick, that the kris itself is from the 1800's, but i have a feeling the blade is much, much older itself...
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote