View Single Post
Old 20th May 2019, 04:58 PM   #9
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Gentlemen, i am spoiled with so much attention to my case, for which i am much obliged.
But having read all your notes my concerns, instead of being quietened, found no peace,which took me to "undo my cuff links" an make some little search for myself.
If we (re) reconsider CSinTX's example, only 3 cms. taller than mine. I hear some knowledged people saying that (even) a 5 cms difference is not such great a variation and still can be attributed to the realm of adults, whether those of lesser stature. Breast plates must accomodate human physiology. They can only reach down to about the lowest rib and bend at the waist, in order not to interfere with the possibility to fully bend, as in contemplating a context of episodes like falling from a horse.
Also we must not forget that most often these implements are only a part of front armor, having complements added to their lower section, like faulds and tassets. One example of "small" breastplate may be seen at the HIGGINS. Also note that its neck is not so "low cut" as in mine, so height measurements should take that into account.
Having so said, i would dare to discard the dwarf hypothesis, those who would not feel so comfortable wearing a 4 1/2 kilos (10 pounds) breastplate to add to their entire cuirass.
Concerning the approach that people were all smaller then is a myth, i am afraid that such is not the concept of documented history. We can (or not) aknowledge records in that men, in the last century, following a research over 18 million people in 200 Countries, have increased their height in 10-12 cms ... in a variable manner, of course.
Also noteworthy that man stature complexity is primarily linked with economic, nourishment, genetic and other so reasons. The principle that would explain why wealthy and better fed people are taller or better constituted than those close to poverty, would cause no surprise to spot an armored aristocrat knight outstanding among a platoon of armored pikemen. Another deal is Gravettians (Mamuth hunters) having been much taller than Mayas ... But that is digressing
Also we can read (and see) charts of man evolution of stature in much earlier times, drawn by prestigious scholars.
Also the probability that my example is a salesman display seems unlikely. You either exhibit a "miniature" or the "real size" thing; not an "approximate" one. Besides, this example has been much through a rather severe endurance to be a selling exhibit.

Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 20th May 2019 at 05:23 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote