View Single Post
Old 28th January 2008, 03:15 AM   #20
RobT

Default Wow

To A. G. Maisey,
I feel like Watson. How the deuce did you know that Holmes?! I compared the hilt on my keris side by side to a bandolan hilt that I am certain is Balinese and for sure the one on the keris in question is shorter and stumpier than its Balinese counterpart. That such a hilt type exists is very good to know in of itself but in this context it also serves to resolve why the wranka looked Javanese, the hilt Balinese and yet the wood of both matched so closely as to indicate they were created en suite.
The blade to sheath fit is perfect and therefore is either a remarkable bit of serendipity or a pretty strong argument for the dress having been made for the blade. I will go out on a limb and say that if we couple the likelihood of an en suite hilt and wranka with the blade and sheath fit, it makes a Javanese made blade with some Balinese features plausible, no?
The only sticky point is the pendok. It fits the gandar perfectly and the gandar is roughened as I believe is common for a pendok bunton. Perhaps the original gandar was modified or replaced to accept the current pendok?
As i mentioned in my earlier post, the uwer isn't original to the piece. It is as you said, new. Could you tell me what type of mendak would be appropriate to this type of hilt or would the uwer still be ok?
I really thank you for your input. Not only have you added to my knowledge, you have also put the pieces of the puzzle together.
Sincerely,
RobT

Last edited by RobT; 28th January 2008 at 03:16 AM. Reason: typo
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote