View Single Post
Old 15th March 2005, 06:02 PM   #1
Bill

Default Dr. Ann, Dr. Ann

Dr. Ann as well as anyone else that will comment. What can todays research tell us about these swords. My interest is really about the "Moro" kris. There seems to have been receint research into "luwa" iron, mostly from the folks from Australian National University. What info can we find from examples without any providence. Can you comment on what can be found from iron. This has been discussed in the past, it would seem age is not obtainable, only whether something is consistant for that period. Rust seems to be testable but in your opinion, how well, & how much is needed. I have a few very old "Moro" kris & wonder what is possible to find out about them. How much of something needs to be "sacrificed"? With the dress of these swords is wood, ratten, buffalo horn, deer antler, & in one case I have a sheath wrapped in leaves, but one may assume the dress may not indicate the age of the metal but does add to the picture. I have a 16" "Moro" kris that the guard has already been broken, the hilt has been broken, the tang repaired & even the old injuries have a deep patina that suggests conciderable age. The sword would be expendable if valid info could be found. What can be found to determine age, & what & how much would be lost in order to do so (like a small part of the tang or chip from the inside of a hilt? Is it possible to do ascertain pieces made without European iron? Thank You.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote