Thread: Unknown Sword??
View Single Post
Old 20th September 2021, 03:49 PM   #1
drac2k

Default Unknown Sword??

I just acquired this sword in a lot purchase, and my first inclination was that it wasn't worth mentioning, but after actually having the item in my hands, it looks like some skill was employed in its making. It is all steel & 28" long x 2.25" wide with a slight medial ridge tapering off to two very sharp edges.
I don't think that it was made for the current Medieval Jousters as it is too sharp and seems to exhibit some age. It could be a Lodge Sword for such a group as the Odd Fellows which were prevalent during the turn of the century, however, most of the groups were smart enough to have blunt & dull swords; maybe large groups of guys in a meeting and drinking wasn't conducive to having sharp swords around. Another thought came to mind about it being a reliquary sword; it seems a bit too short unless it was cut down. I wondered if it could be a WW1 Trench Weapon, however, I decided against that since it is too heavy and the design is archaic.
In conclusion, unless anyone can tell me differently, I guess this sword is someone's metal shop project; I hope that he got a good grade.
Attached Images

drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote