View Single Post
Old 10th February 2013, 07:00 PM   #13
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Hello Willem,

I also don't see any clear evidence which would suggest a Gayo origin. I'm not entirely comfortable with it being pure-bred Aceh though. At least the (brass?) end knob with stone doesn't look anything like traditional Aceh style IMVHO.

The silverwork is neatly done and definitely looks genuine and older than the knob (cp. the partly covered flow of lines which I find aesthetically disturbing). I can't remember having seen any rencong with a similar tail decoration though.

Another note: While the blade is traditionally crafted, it does show several forging flaws which are also not that commonly seen on higher-end (or above-average) rencong from Aceh; it is possible that this is an older blade and that the flaws became visible or more prominent from usage and cleaning: AFAIK this is more commonly seen with Gayo rencong. Quite weird IMHO.

Still a nice catch, Detlef! How good is the fit of the blade in the scabbard?

Regards,
Kai
Hello Kai,

the knob is not from silver, maybe white brass? But it has a lot of patina so I think it is already long attached but agree that it look somewhat weird. The fit in the scabbard is perfect IMHO. And agree with you, it's the first rentjong blade I have seen/handled with such a forging flaw. BTW, the most items from this collection was collated around 1900.

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote