View Single Post
Old 14th July 2018, 08:55 PM   #6
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl
Hi Stu

I was thinking that maybe the horn had a different cap originally, and the long, decorative spout added latter. But as you mentioned, there was a fair amount of crusted powder remaining inside the spout. So, obviously the spout was utilized with the horn.
The angle cut at the horn tip would likely assist the flow of the powder through the long brass spout while loading. As well as re-filling the horn with powder.
So it appears the two pieces were made together and the brass spout has simple come loose over the many years. Likely had some type of wooden plug for the end of the spout. Just my guess on this.

I have no idea as to it's origin. But likely somewhere in North Africa. The decoration on the spout look more generic Moroccan or Algerian (?)
Looks like there are no cracks, etc. on the body of the horn, and it's probably still usable.
Again, nice find.

Rick
Yes you are right. My thinking is that the brass has come loose and should be refixed, which I will do in due course, but might just wait to see if there are other replies which say it should be seperate. There are no cracks or holes to the horn, so it is definitely usable.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote