View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2012, 03:02 PM   #7
Spunjer

jose, always loved your ivory pieces! rare indeed, that fossilized handle you have! when i grow up, i'd love to own one like that!!!
@paolo two excellent pieces you have! the silver covered handle is incredible!
@ariel, regarding the appendage: that's what cato proposed, among other things, but more and more, there are plenty that have the same appendages with strong provenance dating back at the turn of the century.
added couple pictures. the barung below was brought back around 1900-1901 by Webb Hayes (the tip broke off, but you could still see it). on the second pic, please note the two gentlemen at the back, second and third from the right (or is it left, lol). second seated from the left is Datu Unga, Tausug warrior extraordinaire. hard to see, but i can assure you his barung has the same appendage. picure was taken early 1900's.
what concerns me more about paolo's other barung is the date given. 1st battle of Bud Dajo was March 5-8, 1906, while the second one was in 1911. on the first battle, i could see someone getting confused with the days, but how can anyone forget the year?
Attached Images

Last edited by Spunjer; 22nd January 2012 at 03:19 PM.
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote