View Single Post
Old 27th February 2014, 09:15 AM   #53
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
" The word singa is derived from the Sanskrit singa, "lion". The Batak term of singa has a predominantly magical, rather than zoological, so singa does not symbolize a lion. Instead, the singa represents the Nāga or Boru Saniang Naga, the primeval water serpent from the Hindu-Buddhist mythology. It is not fully understood why the name singa is attributed to this figure.[2][3][4] "

THE ABOVE QUOTE IS FROM WIKI. FOUND UNDER SINGA (MYTHOLOGY) THIS WOULD HELP EXPLAIN THE SINGAPORE HALF LION, HALF FISH AS WELL AS THE POMMEL DECORATION ON THE KASTANCE. SO PERHAPS THE LION LIKE ONES ARE SINGA AND THERE MAY BE A FEW MAKARA AS WELL BUT ON MOST EXAMPLES I HAVE SEEN THE LION OR SINGA IS THE MORE COMMON. THE SINGA IS ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT IN BATACK CULTURE BUT HAS MORE OF A HUMAN FACE. PERHAPS MAKARA AND SINGA SPEAK OF THE SAME CREATURE IN MYTHOLOGY
Salaams VANDOO ~ Of the many tides of influence sweeping across the Kastane scene; religion, myth and superstition rate highly ..not least shrouded in time and the duality of Buddhist and Hindu influence but also shaken by the 3 invaders which have created further fog and a great deal of disruption..not least in the after development e.g. In European dogheads with pure Sri Lankan influence going the other way...Then the pan Indian Ocean regional effect possibly centred upon Jakarata geographically and as the obvious trading hub through which the huge Hindu-Buddhist influence is traditionally applied. The Javanese and other sister regions where Zoomorphic/Mythical hilts is observed would indicate some inter-fusion or influence and adds to the mystique of the weapon being unraveled.

I have viewed the discussion from many points of the compass and am generally of the opinion that the decorative influence is home grown whilst the basic form may well be derived from other styles irrespective of the fighting nature of those styles. I think the obvious link is in the Moors of Sri Lankan tie-up with trade... Hormuz, Sohar, Red Sea ports and inter regionally...potentially sucking in early European and South East Asian forms already discussed.

I have mentioned the tantalizing Nimcha effect and the obvious Indian influences and the reduction in Iron and Steel gap in activity caused by the invaders particularly the Dutch.

I think we are closer to a general overview of where we see the Kastane and armed with a vastly improved library of detail, at some future point, an even clearer picture may be forthcoming...As to whether the shape triggers in the mind of the beholder .. A Lion or a serpent/ Makara is probably not so important given the mythology (I simply accept that since it defies logic by definition) Once the prefix "stylistic" is added it may be irrelevant ?

Meanwhile thank you for your posts...

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 27th February 2014 at 01:25 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote