View Single Post
Old 28th June 2009, 03:42 PM   #19
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thats great Hatumesh!
Be wary of anyone who claims to be an 'expert', they seldom are. I have studied weapons for many years, but am like most everyone else, simply a student of them, and would like to think in perhaps some advanced degree.

Caucasian weapons are not only attractive and intriguing, they are rich in the history of these fascinating cultures,reflecting the colorful and diverse ethnic groups from these regions. They have always been among the most esoteric of arms forms for westerners as resources on them are extremely limited, much as the weapons themselves. Most of the written material on these weapons is written in a number of languages, most notably Russian, and the examples which do become available are inclined to be reasonably expensive.

Your questions are well placed, and I can only offer my own perception.
I think the question concerning assessing a specific region of origin is excellent, and the very question that has personally eluded me for many years as well concerning Caucasian weapons. From what I understand, the style and content of the decoration is often key in discerning the region or ethnic group that a weapon might represent, however it is important to note that blades and mounts are often derived from different locations. Then there is of course trade and movement of either components or fully assembled weapons between tribal groups as well as in many cases, they may have been captured in raids or warfare.

For the most part, profound consistancy in certain styles known to come from certain areas is typically the most common denominator that identifies. This particular knowledge is usually acquired by individuals who handle or have handled many weapons from these regions, or those who have studied the forementioned resources and history of the regions. These are most often collectors and dealers who have become specialized in this field of study.

Which term to use is often a major point of contention, and can often defy logic. For example, the often huge 'Khyber Knife' from those regions in Afghanistan is actually often the size of a short sword, yet it is called a 'knife'. The size will often vary in degree.
The kindjhal also will also vary, sometimes dramatically, in size, but seems typically to be thought of as a dagger. It would seem that to avoid such restrictive terminology it is usually referred to invariably as 'kindjhal' to avoid misperceptions.

Weapons with identifications so close in regional proximity, seem to be identified with sometimes extremely subtle nuances, such as a certain type or placement of rivets in the grip, perhaps a certain variation in the shape of a mount element, many times the decoration itself. There are variations in the use of niello, the depth of the chiseling applied in motif, the choice of vegetal designs and how profusely or sparsely it is applied.The mystery of all of this has been mentioned to me, but certainly, and frustratingly, beyond my grasp.

Most of all, posting and sharing your weapons here on the discussion forum will enable all of us to learn together, and should you decide to sell or desire professional appraisal of a weapon (always recommended), using private messages or posting on the swap forum is the best course to take.

I am glad you have joined us, and best of luck with your presently held weapons, which I hope you will continue to share with us.

All the very best,
Jim