View Single Post
Old 14th August 2020, 06:14 AM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rareis
Thank You Detlef for your interesting opinion. I have not tested the scabbard with the right methods, but the scabbard is not magnetic. As I understand German Silver is magnetic metal...The scabbard (from one side) and the attachment rings are quite worn aswell - so if it is a well crafted piece for the collectors, it has been thought of.
Hello Rareis,

German silver isn't magnetic, see here for German silver: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_silver
Nickel is magnetic but the percentage from around 20% is too low to let become the alloy magnetic.
I am not firm enough with Moroccan culture and until which time koummyas were worn but guess that it would be around the middle of 20th century.
I have a similar worked example like yours and it's for sure not from silver and the colour in your pictures let me doubt that yours could be from silver.
A silver test is cheap, you can order the liquid online. Test it to get sure.
I am far away to be an expert for koummyas but have handled several pieces in my collector time. There are members who are very more knowledgeable, hope they will join in.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote