View Single Post
Old 19th March 2020, 08:23 PM   #8
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourfirs
I have an Omani Abu Fathilah matchlock, missing the actual serpentine but otherwise intact. It has been hanging in a very damp room for many years, and is very rusty.

How hard should I clean it? Back to 'shiny metal' or would this remove any patina?

Were these weapons blued? Mine looks as though it may have been, but I dont want to blue it if it should not be.

Can anyone send em a picture of the serpentine? I'm thinking of getting one fabricated but don't know what it should look like. The barrel is 1M 15 cm long, with a bore of around 12mm. I've seen other threads mention the presence of blockages (old loads?) in the breach - mine has one too, possibly still loaded?

In the under barrel groove (for the ramrod) I found 3 date stones wrapped in old material. Do these have any symbolism?

Any help welcomed!

Thanks!
Thanks for the pics. They give an entirely different meaning to the words "otherwise intact". Looks to me as if you have a major job on your hands. When the job is complete, it would be great if you could please post some pics of the finished gun.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote