View Single Post
Old 4th April 2018, 05:12 AM   #17
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dekker
... When digging through Mark Bowditch's site on the matter he often refers to an outdated system that he calls the "Greaves-Winston typology". An internet search found this term only to be used on his site, and on this forum.

I wonder, what is the source of this typology? Who are Greaves and Winston and where can I find the text where they classify these items? ...
Peter,

To respond directly to your questions, I think much of what I wrote already here answers the main thrust of your questions. As to text describing this classification, much of that was on the old Vikingsword UBB site, but that site was hacked and is no longer accessible. Nathaniel has referred you to the Macau "History of Steel" site, and that reflects the thinking of Mark, Andrew and myself about 12 years ago. Since then both Mark and Andrew have largely disappeared from this Forum, and I was also absent for a couple of years due to illness. As a result, the Dha Index and our attempts at the classification of dha/daab came to a halt. New blood is definitely needed to help resume the task!

Both Nathaniel and I have been in touch with international experts on Thai swords in recent years. They have helped identify and distinguish between the confusing array of Thai/Lao/Cambodian daab/daav in our various collections, as well as classify numerous online examples, such that a newer and more rational nosology might be attempted for much of the Dha Index. This all takes time and effort, of course, and we are otherwise busy people. Those interested in helping with this type of work might indicate their interest here. Previous attempts to put together such a group were unsuccessful, but perhaps we will find more enthusiastic participation now.

Please post your thoughts and ideas. I don't want to hijack Peter's thread, but his questions were broad and inquiring so perhaps he won't mind if we digress a little.

Ian.

Last edited by Ian; 4th April 2018 at 05:49 AM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote