View Single Post
Old 2nd September 2007, 05:54 AM   #9
Antonio Cejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alam Shah
Yup, the well-known Selangor Pewter... there are some keris pewter-ware too, but not really following the aesthetics of a 'real' keris. As for the handle, it's a common form of malaysian northern peninsular.
Right.
When when our son was about 7 or eight, we spent a month in Malaysia, starting at Penang where we stayed at a resort called Battu Ferringhi, they told me at the time it meant Portuguese Stones, so I'm just selling for the same price I bought it. Then we proceeded to Kuala Lumpur (what is the meaning of the city's name, please?) then we went to the Portuguese Settlement in Melacca (we call it Malaca) and saw the A Famosa built by Afonso de Albuquerque (Note that Alfonso is Spanish, not Portuguese) and we then went to Kota Kinabalu. It was a fantastic time we spent in Malaysia.

I appreciate whatever language meaning you can explain to me.
I noticed in Malaca that the school bus had a sign saying SEKOLA, which is very close to ESCOLA, the Portuguese word for School.
I'm interested very much in understanding why did the Portuguese words stuck, no matter how twisted, whereas a could not find any Dutch words.

Linguistics are very important to understand the language of affection.
In Macau, women used to go out with the Saraça which was of Malaysian origin.

In the late 1960's I travelled to Europe with someone who asked me what was my nationality and I told him, Portuguese: he immediately recited these four words: djanela, bandera, pistola, cadera. This is pure Portuguese and that really hit me hard.

The Japanese have incorporated about 400 Portuguese words in their vocabulary.
So you may understand my interest in linguistics involving influences of the Portguese in the Far East.

Then you have Emilio Salgari, the Italian writer who wrote Sandokan, the Tiger of Malaysia.

Kabhir Beddhi was the star. For many years, while my beard was black, many folks in Portugal called me Sandokan

Thank you in advance.
Antonio Cejunior is offline   Reply With Quote