View Single Post
Old 31st May 2020, 09:37 AM   #9
tanaruz

Default KRIS WITH TALISMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Hi tanaruz:

I agree with your Maranao attribution based on Cato's identification of kris by tribal groups. As I'm sure you know, Cato identified distinct differences among Sulu (Tausug) and Mindanao (Maguindanao and Maranao) kris. I have attached a picture of his illustrative examples below, showing the elephant trunk area of Sulu (Tausug) kris [A], Maranao kris [B], and Maguindanao kris [C, D]. It's fairly clear that your example most closely resembles the Maranao form shown by Cato. The blade of yours is also straight and wide, wider than most Sulu kris but consistent with Mindanao kris of the late 19th-20th C.

The talismanic/magical inscriptions on the blade are a wonderful find, and I agree with David that we will likely never know what these meant to the owner of the sword. They do indicate, however, that this was a "special" sword imbued with powers such as providing a safe and successful outcome for the wielder of it. Who knows what spirits, good or evil, may lie within this blade.
Hi Sir,

First of all, my utmost appreciation for the information (and the pictures). A couple of questions (I hope you won't mind):
1) "elephant trunk area"-is this the area (encircled in yellow)?

2) blade: "straight and wide, wider than most Sulu kris but consistent with the Mindanao kris of the late 19th-20th century"- question: wider by approximately how many centimeters than most Sulu kris?

I really need to find and purchase the book by Cato. I know that the book is quite rare.

All the best and be safe all,

Yves
Attached Images

tanaruz is offline   Reply With Quote