View Single Post
Old 3rd October 2007, 06:53 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Default High Hopes, African Dahomey {razor?}

I could be on a flight of fantasy. I need lots of serious thought and comments on this piece.

I bought this on the idea it was quite a bit larger and a Dahomey/Benin ceremonial sabre. However when it arrived covered in old yellowed varnish, always a good sign to me, the size of the blade is 23cm long and the handle 22cm long. The wood of the handle seems certainly African as do many aspects to the blade which is still very sharp and the decoration. I am thinking we could be looking at a candidate for a Benin Amazon razor weapon. There is mention that they were a folding artifact. This could be that in casual observation this does indeed resemble a giant cut throat razor and outsiders may just have assumed that it folded. Why is it that such a often mentioned weapon does not appear in books on African art or weapons?

Am I unbelievably lucky?

I have some doubts but they are still smothered by my high hopes . I will post a series of pictures that will explain all. If you think you know anything valid please do not hold back. Next stop could be the BM. Or just hide under the duvet.

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote