View Single Post
Old 26th June 2017, 09:42 PM   #30
M ELEY

Hi Norman. I think the collection is perfectly on par for Age of Piracy. One of my biggest pet peeves are those who say piracy ceased after 1717 (the end of the Golden Age). This is simply not the case. Piracy existed ever since the first cavemen threw a log into a river to fish from while some other scoundrel floated out to rob him. It was alive and well into the 19th c. and of course still exists today. Don't mean to get on my soapbox, but the facts prove piracy went on.
I personally believe that some of that 'piracy is over' thing was created by aristocrats in the Indies that wanted to downplay its continued existence. It was the same type of ballyhoo about every pirate being a murderer, rapist, torturer, etc. While most were brutal men and thieves, some gentlemanly, well mannered, educated and had families. The infamous Edward Teach, who supposedly murdered by the score, has no historical documentation that he killed anyone save Lt. Maynard's men when they stormed his ship. Sorry about the tirade. Perhaps I'll stir up a little debate with that one!
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote