Thread: Old Kaskara
View Single Post
Old 28th June 2019, 09:55 PM   #2
ariel

Now to the questions.
To me this seems to be a Dukkeri abu Dubban blade with all 3 marks: standing cat, fly and orb and cross.

Question #1: are we talking here about genuine blade of Peter or Samuel Kull from Solingen (1830-1870) or is it a locally made blade with " imitation" marks?

Question #2: The crossguard is Sammaniya with (?) smaller flare. Does it in conjunction with Q#1 suggest earlier origin?

Question #3: As a rule, kaskara handles had a pommel looking like a flattened cylinder. Here, however, the top of the hilt is already covered with leather. To me it may suggest that this particular handle had no pommel. Am I correct?

Question #4: The hilt is wrapped in leather and over-wrapped with some kind of pitch-impregnated twine. If I want to restore the binding using authentic materials, does anybody here know of a source where I can get it?

I have contacted Ed through PM and asked him to express his opinions. Please pitch in even if his responses are delayed.
Also, if at the judgement of the Moderators my posts might be adding something to the overall knowledge about Kaskaras, please feel free to add them to the general discussion in the classics section and remove my superfluous posts.

Last edited by ariel; 28th June 2019 at 10:14 PM.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote