View Single Post
Old 16th January 2016, 06:47 AM   #18
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Default Omani Terrs.

Salaams all above...Thank you for your input. This is an Omani Terrs.

On size; I think the key reference is #1 showing a variety of slightly different sizes. As noted by Gavin Nugent above; the device in brass is primarily for attaching the holding strap behind the Terrs. There are two ways of trapping the opponents blade..the first being to twist a blade which has been caught stuck in the hide shields face. The second method, it is said, is by trapping the opponents sword between the brass rectangle and the shield. I agree that is tenuous but with the thin swords quite possible; though I place the wording...: "it is said that"...

I think there is a question over the size of the shield and it may be considered what weapon this shield was first used with..? and that is perhaps best looked at when the Terrs was passed on from its defensive role with The Sayf Yamaani onto the Omani thin flexible Sayf. Two other functions were also transferred ...The sharpenend two edges of the weapon in honour of the forefathers and the flat spatulate tip.

Two answers to the shields size concerns the small stature of the average Omani and the speed factor... The concept was slash and chop with the heavier original Sayf Yamaani behind or ballanced with very fast manouvering behind the Terrs...also seen to devastating effect in the European Targe.

I think readers need to remember that the shield and sword were accompanied by the spear...which because of Gunpowder became extinct from probably the 18th C. The Terrs shield also goes in to battle with the Khanjar dagger and in the Funoon traditions there is such a dance performance usually seen in Southern Oman. The Bara'a.

Regarding decoration with silver which is an excellent observation...The question as to why and when may be interesting.. The Richardson and Dorr illustrates such a Terrs made in the samer shape but in wood... It contains examples of Terrs in reed as well...same shape. I suggest that once the Sayf Yamaani became Iconized in about 1830 a number of other design factors were introduced including the Busaidi Hilt on both it and the Royal Khanjar...plus the Royal Turban and the Royal Camerbund.

It seems probable that the Sayf Yamaani with the Iconized silver hilt will have brought designer attention to its Terrs...at the same time.

It is generally recognised that the wife of Said The Great ...or one of them..."Sheherazad"... the Persian princess... who designed the Al Busaidi Hilt to the Khanjar also may well have been the instigator for the other items.

see ... http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...=omani+khanjar

and ...http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ht=Omani+terrs

and ... http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ht=Omani+terrs

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 16th January 2016 at 07:30 AM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote