View Single Post
Old 2nd October 2010, 05:48 PM   #5
Mr. Scratch

Thanks for the howdy Michael and Katana.

Yes, the cannon looks to have some element of lathe manufacture as it is pretty evenly made (as opposed to the roughness of hand forging). The Chinese used handcannon type designs well into the 19th Century (and maybe into the 20th in small villages), and my guess would be this is such a piece.

My initial plan with this gun was to give it an original Chinese stock if I found such a stock to look good (aesthetics are important here). However, after countless hours wasted (okay, not entirely wasted, as I learned a lot about handgonnes in general, but I didn't find what I was looking for), and nearly 1/2 dozen forums joined and questioned, I haven't found any images or references to a complete Chinese gun of this style outside of the small image I posted already of a "pistol" type firearm.

So I'm now also open to the idea of a suitable European stock. In spite of the obvious manufacturing differences between my gun and the much older European variety, I think they were probably used in similar fashion, and bear a superficial resemblance. And again, while I want some historical accuracy, I'm putting the appearance first on this as it is primarily a decorative piece, with it's value as a historical example necessarily running a bit behind that.

If worst comes to worst I can marry it to a stock that looks cool (to me) but is a bit anachronistic, but given that there does seem to be a bit of variation with these guns, I'm still hoping to run across a historic example that would be suitable, or perhaps be told "your sketch of stock C might have happened, but stock B is completely preposterous because of yada yada yada."

Anyway, this isn't my field of expertise and I've obviously got a lot to learn, so I'm open to all advice and suggestions.
Mr. Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote