View Single Post
Old 23rd April 2014, 09:19 PM   #18
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asomotif
Welcome Medar.

What a wonderfull sword and what a perfect timing with the other thread about VOC blades.

The blade looks good and genuine to me.
The whole ensemble with fittings and scabbard also looks genuine in my eyes. Problem is that I am a dummy on japanese swords.

Is there someone who can shine a light on the style and age of the japanese hilt and scabbard ???

Best regards,
Willem
Willem, it seems we have determined that this old VOC blade has apparently been remounted into Japanese style mounts, but those who have knowledge in true nihonto (traditional Japanese) swords have not ventured further thoughts.
While certainly outside my field, it seems that this old blade may have been placed in gunto (post Samurai) style mounts, quite possibly in the Meiji period (1868-1912).
During this time there was considerable proscription of the traditional Japanese swords, and profound movement toward 'westernization' , adopting European styling and fashion militarily.
Clearly these mounts do not correspond to the well known nihonto style and instead of the 'tsukaito' (silk wrap braid) this grip appears to be some type of covering wire wrapped, more in accord with western officers swords. The scabbard sparsely decorated and sturdy like military types. The tsuba guard still follows Japanese tradition.

I am inclined to believe that this blade was likely a heirloom in this Japanese family, as discussed, and the officer of WWII still had the gunto sword which was probably mounted for an ancestor during the Meiji period. During the Showa period (1926-1989) and prior to WWII, Japanese officers were having many 'shin gunto' swords fashioned using old heirloom blades, and while many followed nihonto tradition in degree, many were simply produced and often with cast metal mounts etc.
I would imagine this officer was permitted the carrying of his family heirloom in its present mounts in respect for his family tradition.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote