View Single Post
Old 19th May 2017, 12:29 PM   #55
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
... I think the 'perillo' moniker owes more to Cervantes colorful imbuement than actual intention ...
You are right Jim; imbuement or conviction, were it not for Cervantes, who later decided to imortalize the mark as being a doggy Julian, for one, could have intended to shape a different animal ... be iy symbolic or phisical. Lorente suggests a jackal, more in acordance with Moorish tendences, if such were the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
... While leaning toward these sorts of esoterica, I have always wondered about the 'Lobera' sword of Fernando III of Castile of the 13th c. His grandson writing of his exploits in 1337 described his sword as "Lobera", (=the wolf hunter"). Could there be any sort of commemorative or honorific allusion?
Ah, esoterica, your cup of tea .Apparently Spaniards did not come to a conclusion, the doubt being whether it was a hunting sword or just a name, as per period custom to sttribute names to swords. It could also be that such status was already given by previos owner as, according to what is written, the sword originaly belonged to the great Count Fernán González.
I deeply regret having been twice in the cathedral of Seville and not get visual contact with this sword, which is kept in the Capilla Real. Probably it is not at sight.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote