View Single Post
Old 28th March 2019, 05:13 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

OK Mark, finally found Neumann (1973) and on p,158 (#289.S) there is a horsemans sabre with remarkably similar hilt, which is classified as 'European'. There was so much diffusion and cross influence in the Continent with these hilt styles that while vague, it is the only prudent term without specific provenance.
The blade on this on is similar in fullering etc. and the sword is placed c. 1700-30, and of about 33" (cavalry length). Also, the bilobate guards of the 'walloon' type swords remain intact.

Neumann notes that these bilobate 'shell' guards were carried well into the 18th c. and refers to other similar types in 33.s to 35..
In checking this, 34.S is significant as the other two with all three examples being German and latter 17th into early 18th.

Here I note that 34.S. is the closest match to this hilt, and has the thumb ring and well as the dual lobed feature in the hilt branches, the sharply down turned quillon, and pommel with inserted branches.

With this I would suggest this is a German hanger of c. 1700-30 with the guard open ring rather than bilobate shells. The curiously themed engraving on the blade remains a mystery, and I think we might find more in some of the blade motifs in French context in 18th c.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote