View Single Post
Old 16th January 2013, 06:33 AM   #20
Emanuel

The Indian arsenal is indeed quite something. The sheer variety of bladed instruments is mind-numbing. It shows the immense level of artistic expression inherent to arms and armour. While part of my education included as specialization in fine art history, I was saddened that the art and craft of weaponry was entirely disregarded. Strange that such an obvious component of fine art was ignored.

Jens I met a few fellows here in Hyderabad that collect high quality newly-made Indian weapons and the cost of a nicely chiseled pesh-kabz type of dagger with pattern-welded steel blade can run into the thousands of dollars. Basically the price of a low-mid range car. A custom-made dagger or sword in North America is also in the four digits so not accessible to anyone. In olden days these finely crafted weapons were for the elite only.

Shimmer, the swords along the bottom are better seen on one of the other pictures. Basically rapiers and narrow two-handed swords. There is a blade of a bullova axe just above them and at the top there is what I think is a signaling standard, similar to the two brass ones next to the "draco" standard. The chopper on the left is similar to Curg or Malabar types.

It's too bad I couldn't get any pictures from Jaipur. Jodhpur also had a good collection with some swords attributed to the Mughal emperor Akbar, but the rooms were undergoing renovation and the display cases were empty.

Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote