View Single Post
Old 29th February 2024, 06:29 PM   #3
NeilUK

I am afraid that I have to agree with Corrado, that this sword is most likely to have been produced in the Victorian enthusiasm for arms and armour to adorn the mansions and stately homes of the rich,old and new.
The style and size are good, though I don't like the pommel very much. This sword is made in the style of the late 16th century, circa 1580-1610, when it was designed to be carried on parade or other ceremonial, not for combat except in extreme circumstances, which is why so many 2-handers of this style survive, almost always in good condition. This brings me to my main problem with this sword - if it had been hanging on a castle wall,perhaps polished and dusted for 400 years, it should not be covered in rust hardened to the extent that it appears to be. The size and weight are correct for this period - battle 2-handers were a bit smaller and a lot lighter, c.2kg, but many parade ones weighed 3-4kg. So overall I think (but no guarantees) that this sword was made in the 2nd half of the 19th century and artificially aged.
Neil
NeilUK is offline   Reply With Quote