View Single Post
Old 12th August 2014, 04:59 PM   #1
NigelP

Default Russian Court Sword ?

Anybody got any ideas on this sword which I believe to be a Russian Court Sword according to what I've gleaned already.

Comprises a plain tapered double-edged steel pointed blade with central ridge, without any markings, mounted with a bronze (?) guard and a grip decorated with mother of pearl. All metal-work was probably originally gilded but is now in poor condition due to some early cleaning attempts.
The guard has a marking of a double-headed eagle in Russian style with a crown, with cross atop, and also with two five-pointed stars above the crown. The eagle has an escutcheon mounted on its breast.
This eagle and escutcheon is almost identical to that seen on a Russian Coronation Herald’s Tabard dated 1826 and held in the Kremlin Museum, except that it is not clear what the eagle is holding within its talons. Apparently various items were typically held in the talons at different dates.
The pommel is formed of a moustachioed soldier with a helmet, possibly showing olive branches on its frontal face, and including a crown and the letters “H” & “I”, the ”I“ being smaller and placed within the lower part of the “H”. The “H” is somewhat ornately serified, while the “I” is a plain Roman character. This lettering is identical to that on the Coronation Tabard.

I would provide some photos but seem to be unable to upload any because the file sizes are too big.
NigelP is offline   Reply With Quote