Thread: New keris
View Single Post
Old 25th July 2005, 07:36 AM   #12
Boedhi Adhitya

Gusen (java)word come from "gusi" (indonesian/java/malay?), which means the teeth's gum. Gusen might means "looks like the teeth's gum". In the keris terminology, it means the beveled edges. the bevel might looks like the gum, if we look the sharp edge as the tooth I do agree with Pak Cik Alam shah that the dhapur is Jalak Ruwuh, or some people in Java might spell, Jalak Nguwuh. Determining the dhapur sometimes a little bit tricky, because the ricikan (details) of some kerises might not exactly the same as the written ones on the book. In this case, we may choose the closest-related dhapur possible, which has the same ricikan/details most.

About the old blade attached, IMHO, it has 13 luks. The dhapur might be Sengkelat. It was a good one, and I believe, it is still a good one for you, Freddy. Counting luks might be frustrating on heavily corroded blades. Some keris experts in Java propose counting luks on it's concave sides, not the convex, hilly sides. That is, if you hold a keris (which has luks certainly ) on your right hand, and the sirah cecak and gandik side facing left side, you might start counting the concave-sides luks with your left thumb and index finger. The first luk is just upside of the gandik/sekar kacang on the left side of the blade, counted with your left thumb, and the second luk is counted with your left index finger. Continue counting by alternating the thumb and index finger through the whole length of the blade, on the concave sides. Now come the important part : The luk MUST ended on your thumb, if the keris' luk is still intact. That means, the tip/point of the blade MUST be directing to your left side. If not, the point of the blade might has gone because of corrosion or altered by someone. In case of corrosion, you may add 1 to make the luk odd (luk's counting always odd). I found this method much more easier and more reliable, especially if we count the luks on the spear heads and heavily corroded kerises.
In the case of the old blade attached, if we count the luk using this method, the luk might ended on your left index finger, and the point turn to the right side. The counting is 12, so if we add 1, the blade was 13 luks. Since corrosion may not change the dhapur, then the blade still called as having 13 luks, while in fact, it has 12 luks.

wish I add something to this forum (not confusion certainly )
Boedhi Adhitya is offline   Reply With Quote