View Single Post
Old 25th January 2017, 11:39 PM   #16
Belizechopper

Stephen Richards and George Upson Co. Imported swords from Henry Upson, Salter, Bolton, Osborn and Gunby and Thomas Gill. I am not convinced it is a Woolley mark as there are two "L" and two "O" but one "E" in Woolley and this stamp does not look like a double stamp. While I do think the langets are a stylized acanthus leaf, I believe the shell guard is exactly that a shell and possibly has a Naval association. Most eagle heads were designed by the British but soon copied and sold by different Solingen firms. Some of the very early eagle head hunting swords are perhaps for British or Tory use but the British did not use the eagle pommels. Some German states France, and Austria all utilized eagles to some degree and I infact have an eagle head pommel that I believe is German from 1800 time frame. Because of the quality and eagle head style-Solomon Jackson, Salter, Weaver look I think this is a British made eagle, although Weaver was in Philadelphia, the ferrule looks german and the grip looks American. Weaver is the best guess at this point, if I sound confused there is a reason for it. I have seen this eagle before I just cannot remember where.
Belizechopper is offline   Reply With Quote