View Single Post
Old 30th August 2017, 04:31 AM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I think the thing about trying to classify swords of the Revolutionary War is that the colonists were in fact British, therefore were used to British forms and often components in the fabrication of weapons. As noted, James Potter of New York was a staunch loyalist, and did produce for British ranks. His swords were however somewhat crude, but usually using sheet iron, and usually had the four slot guard and British style olive or spherical pommels.
He used imported blades as his shop does not seem to have had the required equipment for forging at first at least.

It does seem American fabricators in general did produce hilts in both iron and brass, but most of the brass examples in Neumann (1973) seem to be different than this four slot type.

The 'birdhead' pommel/backstrap on this example seems more 1780+ in fact much more like hilts in 1790s. It seems like I have seen spadroons or hilts with these kinds of slotted guards with these open circles in officers swords (possibly Scottish regiments). Most of the Revolutionary War swords have lion or dog head pommels (these were components openly traded among fabricators).

This might well be American from War of 1812.

As always, I hope Glen can offer final resolution as few know these American weapons as well as him.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote