Thread: Jamdhar Katari?
View Single Post
Old 4th November 2011, 04:44 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Hey Jim, thanks alot for the informative reply. To me, your comments are a treasure.

While I cannot say much about the history, nor do I doubt it, the only thing am willing to dispute is the connection to the death of a scholar. I simply think this dagger is a modern piece used like any modern jambiya is used, the maker wanted to add more attractiveness to it so he added the date. Its the most plausible conclusion I think.

None the less, this dagger is of an interesting time to me.

Thank you for the kind words Abdullatif, much appreciated. Actually when I see dates specifically on a weapon, particularly on a more modern version of the type or on a date shown which in out of conjunction with the period of the weapon, I look for clues of significant events in that year.
Interestingly on the dates shown on many European swords, these are not actual dates but typically encrypted numbers with magical significance, or sometimes even Bible passages. For example I have seen many swords of 17th and even 18th century with 1414 or 1441 on them. These are not dates obviously but numbers with magical meaning in combination.

In Islamic swords, the 'bedouh' is a square comprised of numbers carrying these talismanic properties as well, and numerology is as I understand often found in these kinds of use.

The combination 1132 as a date is simply speculation, and of course it would be tenuous at best to presume connection, though the remote possibility exists, so I mentioned this notation.

To me the weapons are icons of history, and even modern examples reflect depictions or recollections of the types and events around thier influencing counterparts. I enjoyed learning more on this one and really do thank you for sharing it, it was a fun trip down memory lane too!

All the very best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote