Thread: Jamdhar Katari?
View Single Post
Old 3rd November 2011, 07:17 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

While this dagger is clearly a quite modern piece, as always I still look to learn on the history of the weapon it is intended to replicate and what significance there might be to the markings or motif. Although my fascination with this pursuit is not often particularly widely shared, I follow this course and write for those who might be.

As I have mentioned, the type of dagger is from the Kafir heritage regions now Nuristan which was invaded by Amir Abdur Rahman Khan of Afghanistan in the 19th century. The Kafirs who refused to subjugate to the Amir and accept Islam fled into the Chitral regions, and those remaining in then Kafiristan became essentially 'Afghan' or under that suzerainty.

The poorly executed scribed markings represent the emblem of Afghanistan in modern times, but the image of the mosque derives from the reign of Abdur Rahman Khan (r.1880-1901). We have discovered that the markings found on a number of swords attributed to the period of his rule are very much the same as those found on coinage issued by his reign, in particular the mosque depicted, which indeed in most cases most resembles a mehraab.

In my opinion, the reason the famed mosque at Mazir i Sharif seems at least temporally depicted on the coinage and in the stamps on blades presumed to be of the royal armoury located there is because this was in effect the provincial capital of Afghanistan . Also, the importance of this mosque in the Faith as the Holy Shrine is significantly placed, and seems to suggest this being the most likely represented. It is situated far in the north nearly at the Uzbekistan border, and was unaffected during any of the Anglo-Afghan wars, and near the ancient city of Balkh. It was the refuge for Emir Sher Ali and significant in the Barakzai Dynasty of which Emir Abdur Rahman Khan was a key ruler.
Abdur Rahman Khan was the first to create what was to became the actual state of Afghanistan, and negotiated with the British which resulted in protection and subsidies (Treaty of Gandamak). It was during these times that the adoption of heraldic style devices seem to have come from the British association. As far as I have found the first coins bearing the stylized mosque/mehraab occur in 1892. Subsequent issues continued with more detail added to resemble minarets and military arms and flags, all had a wreath surround and issues by his son Habibullah continued.

The earliest swords I have seen with the deep stamp carrying this same image seem to concur with the dates of these coins issuance.

Regarding the number/date inscribed 1132, may represent 1132 AH (1720CE). The important Islamic scholar and spiritual guide Alawi al Haddad (1634-1132AH) died that year. He was a poet and author of devotional songs who was from Hadhramawt, but of course his teachings were widely known and important in Islamic scholarship.

Interestingly during his reign Abdur Rahman Khan's flag was a black flag without any type of devices or writing. His son added the symbolic emblem seen on the coinage , which later became the emblem of Afghanistan.

Regardless of the nature of this modern dagger, these are the historic elements associated with it as far as I can find.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote