View Single Post
Old 18th January 2016, 04:09 AM   #17
Aslan Paladin

Detlef - Yes, I agree. I think the cord wrap was done by a native a long time ago and so culturally appropriate (and makes it more interesting). The missing piece of ivory crest tells an interesting story as well.

Robert - Don't worry, I value and respect history so I wouldn't tamper with the cord wrapping. It also gives this sword a more unique identity among the known existing ivory naga-hilted barongs.

Ron - That's an interesting perspective, the cord looped around the neck of the naga symbolizing mastery of the sword wielder over the power of the mythic monster. So this makes it "The Bound Naga".

Battara - I was also thinking that the way the cord wrapping was done might not only to provide a better grip but also to stabilise the hilt, so I would leave it alone. I'll post pictures of it together with the rest of the 'family' when it arrives.

Kino - I was also thinking that, maybe a master carver made all three hilts. Would the well-defined hilt as an animal form indicate that the carver was a non-Moro, like a Chinese perhaps (as a lot of naga hilts are anamorphic in depiction)?
Aslan Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote