View Single Post
Old 14th October 2023, 04:01 PM   #14
ruiter58

Default Measurements

I finally have the klewang in my hands now and can compare it to a “regular” klewang. I picked an M1911 Hembrug as I think that is the most common used klewang which also served as an example for the M1940 and M1941. The Hammer/Anvil version is almost 25% heavier while the hilt is more than 15% thinner so all the extra weight is in the blade. I can imagine it does not handle as well as the M1911 just because of the weight and the different balancing point (The M1911 balances at 14.5 cm from the hilt basket while the Hammer/Anvil balances at 17.6 cm from the hilt basket. I will check this balancing point later on other klewangs too). When you have both klewangs in your hands it is an easy and quick conclusion that the hammer/anvil is quite roughly finished and appears to have been hastily put together. The basket hilt is not screwed on top but forged and the blade fuller is handmade as it has many irregularities (by grinder?). On the example I have, the hilt basket is damaged as if someone has put a heavy weight on it, I don’t think it is battle damage. And, in general, the klewang can sure use some “taking care off”

AND=> I completely overlooked this but there is a similar klewang in the collection of the Dutch Army Museum and therefore also mentioned in the Klewang catalogue of the museum; I will post the information mentioned there tonight in this thread (or tomorow...)
Attached Images

ruiter58 is offline   Reply With Quote