View Single Post
Old 7th December 2010, 03:49 AM   #38
A. G. Maisey

I have almost nothing of worth to add to this discussion at this time.

However, I do know a woman who comes from Tanah Toraja, quite well. She's a close friend of my wife and we exchange social visits. She has mentioned to me that she has her family's keris.

At the moment she is away from home, and I will be away myself as of next Saturday, but I'll follow this matter up when I get back, and I may be able to shed a little light on the subject.

As for the "wedding keris" business, I guess a "wedding keris" is any keris that that has been used as a dress item at a wedding. I know a bloke in Bali who almost bankrupted himself putting together the most beautiful keris I've seen , for his wedding. Gold hilt and scabbard set with an enormous number of sapphires, rubies, emeralds and diamonds. The blade was crap, but the dress was exceptional. It took him about five years of trying, after his wedding, to sell it.

I know people in Jawa who have borrowed or hired a keris for their wedding.

I know others who have just bought an ordinary keris that they could afford and then sold it after the wedding.

I know others who have used a family keris and then handed it back to Dad after the event.

Don't know what they do in Tanah Toraja, but if I remember to ask, I'm sure I'll find out.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote