View Single Post
Old 9th January 2023, 06:42 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman McCormick View Post
Hi Jim,
In a British comedy/farce movie from 1968, Carry on up the Khyber, plenty of real Indian tulwars etc plus one of the main Khyber rebels sports a nice yataghan. Plenty of this kind of stuff in prop departments in the U.K. for obvious reasons. In the Sherlock Holmes T.V. series from the 80's which stars Jeremy Brett there are plenty of real weapons on show both in Watson and Holmes apartments as well as in various scenes throughout the series. Of course one would expect Indian weaponry connected to Watson given his history.
My Regards,
Norman.
Wonderful analogies Norman!!! and I have honestly gotten eye strain from trying to spot the weapons hung on Holmes' walls in various versions from film and TV.
Absolutely very British colonial influences, and Watson in 2nd Afghan War would have certainly brought in such things, I always recall the picture of Gordon, the notable Persian slipper with Holmes' stash etc.
It seemed I have always watched with eagle eye the weapons in films, and do all to restrain from declaring something 'not right', lest my wife bop me with the proverbial frying pan

In "Gunga Din" (the 30s original, which I have probably watched reaching a Guiness record since I was a kid) at some point I got stuck on the strange axe the commander held, said 'thuggee'. I spent it seems years trying to research these and these obscure bandits. I always wondered it the one they had was real, as these are so rare, never actually have seen one, anywhere.

All very best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote